Falkland govt sets date for referendum on sovereignty
London: Falklands government has set a date for a referendum on the future sovereignty of the islands.
Islanders will go to the polls on March 10-11 to vote on a simple yes or no question: ‘Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?’
The Government of the Falkland Islands has arranged for outside observers to monitor the referendum in order to prove it is free and fair, the Telegraph reports.
Argentina claimed that British forces stole the territory from them 180 years ago and have ruled it as a colony ever since.
According to the report, islanders have predicted an overwhelming vote for ‘yes’.
The authorities in the Falklands hope the vote will send a firm message to Argentina that islanders want to remain with Britain.
The announcement comes a week after defence chiefs drew up new contingency plans to prevent hostile action by Argentina towards the Islands.
Additional troops, another warship and extra RAF Typhoon combat aircraft could be sent to the Falklands ahead of the referendum in the spring, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened