Family, workers of ousted Ivorian strongman freed
Abidjan: Ivory Coast`s justice minister says dozens of family members and domestic workers of disgraced strongman Laurent Gbagbo have been freed from detention.
Jeannot Ahoussou announced on national television late Saturday that the government released nearly 70 of about 120 people arrested when fighters stormed the presidential residence where Gbagbo had dug in for a last stand.
He said 38 were workers including cooks and gardeners.
About 30 family members, including Gbagbo`s grandchildren, were taken to a secret location.
Gbagbo`s former Foreign Minister Alcide Djedje said they were at an unlooted family home near the seaside resort of Grand Bassam under UN protection.
On Tuesday, former Interior Minister Desiree Tagro died after being shot and badly beaten during Monday`s assault that ended four months of fighting over elections won by Alassane Ouattara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1