close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

FARC praises Colombia`s Santos for halting air strikes

Colombia`s FARC guerrillas on Tuesday praised President Juan Manuel Santos` decision to suspend air strikes against rebel forces, but urged further steps to de-escalate the half-century-old conflict.



Bogota: Colombia`s FARC guerrillas on Tuesday praised President Juan Manuel Santos` decision to suspend air strikes against rebel forces, but urged further steps to de-escalate the half-century-old conflict.

Santos ordered the stand-down on Saturday, five days after the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC by its Spanish acronym, resumed a unilateral ceasefire.

"The FARC regards as positive the presidential decision to suspend bombings of our camps," said rebel negotiator Carlos Antonio Lozada, reading a statement to reporters here.

The FARC and the Santos government have been in peace negotiations in Havana since 2012 but the process was badly jolted earlier this year by a flare-up in fighting.

"Without doubt, the president`s decision is a measure which helps generate a climate of confidence propitious for advancing the discussion of pending issues," Lozada said.

But he stressed that additional measures were needed to ratchet down the conflict, Latin America`s oldest guerrilla war.

"It`s necessary to agree on new measures that deepen and consolidate this process of de-escalation, so that the possibility of wasting this effort becomes more and more remote," he said.

Santos had previously ordered a bombing pause March 10 but resumed air strikes in mid April after 11 soldiers were killed in a rebel ambush.

The FARC argued that the ambush was a defensive action against a military patrol that had been harassing a guerrilla unit.

The wave of air strikes that followed cost the FARC the lives of about 30 rebels, prompting it to suspend a unilateral ceasefire it had been observing since December.

International sponsors of the peace talks -- Norway, Cuba, Chile and Venezuela -- worked to get the sides to back off, and on July 12 they agreed to a series of measures aimed at tamping down the conflict and reviving the peace talks.
 

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

K8 Plus: Lenovo's new phone available @ Rs 10,999

Heavy security outside Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters in Sirsa as search operation begins

WATCH Exclusive: After Doklam standoff, India begins road construction near LAC

Hurricane Irma, rampaging through Caribbean, is most enduring super-storm on record

Three train derailments in 1 day, fourth accident narrowly-averted

China says Indian Army chief's views contrary to those expressed by Modi, Xi