Fatah says Hamas arrested Gaza members
Gaza City: Hamas police in the Islamist-ruled Gaza Strip have rounded up dozens of members of Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas`s secular Fatah movement, Fatah said on Saturday.
Spokesman Hassan Ahmad told AFP the arrests on Friday took place at a ceremony in Khan Yunis in the south of the coastal enclave.
"Hamas police intervened during a ceremony to honour martyrs" killed by Israel, Ahmad said.
"They arrested dozens of people for no reason."
Islam Shahwan, a spokesman for the Hamas interior ministry, said police acted because the meeting organisers had not sought permission.
"Around 20 people were detained and later released after signing a document not to take part in unauthorised meetings," Shahwan said.
Fatah and Hamas, which rule in the West Bank and Gaza respectfully, signed a reconciliation agreement in Cairo in 2011 aimed at ending their political differences.
However, most clauses in the accord remain unimplemented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly