Fatah says Hamas arrested Gaza members
Gaza City: Hamas police in the Islamist-ruled Gaza Strip have rounded up dozens of members of Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas`s secular Fatah movement, Fatah said on Saturday.
Spokesman Hassan Ahmad told AFP the arrests on Friday took place at a ceremony in Khan Yunis in the south of the coastal enclave.
"Hamas police intervened during a ceremony to honour martyrs" killed by Israel, Ahmad said.
"They arrested dozens of people for no reason."
Islam Shahwan, a spokesman for the Hamas interior ministry, said police acted because the meeting organisers had not sought permission.
"Around 20 people were detained and later released after signing a document not to take part in unauthorised meetings," Shahwan said.
Fatah and Hamas, which rule in the West Bank and Gaza respectfully, signed a reconciliation agreement in Cairo in 2011 aimed at ending their political differences.
However, most clauses in the accord remain unimplemented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof