Father of modern Chinese Navy Liu Huaqing dies
Beijing: Liu Huaqing, the father of the modern Chinese Navy, has died at age 95.
Liu died on Friday morning of an undisclosed illness, state broadcaster CCTV said. No other details were given.
Liu commanded the People`s Liberation Army Navy from 1982 to 1988 and is credited with revitalising a coastal patrol force and setting it on course to becoming a powerful Navy.
As commander, he laid out a strategy of building an offshore Navy capacity by 2000 and a true blue water Navy able to operate far from home ports by 2050. That included the concept of a first, second and third line of island chains through which the Navy would gradually expand operations eastward into the Pacific toward Taiwan, the Philippines, Guam, and eventually Australia.
Accomplishing that goal requires the addition of modern submarines, surface ships and naval aircraft, and the Navy has received lavish budget increases each year to acquire new equipment. China now has the largest Navy in Asia, although it remains far behind the US Navy in most respects.
Liu joined the Communist Party in 1935 and served with the People`s Liberation Army throughout the struggle against Japan and Chiang Kai-shek`s Nationalists. Following the Communist victory in 1949, he was sent to the then-Soviet Union for study before being assigned to command units in the fledgling Navy.
In his later years, he rose to the position of vice chairman of the party and government commissions that oversee the military and served on the party`s Politburo Standing Committee, the apex of Chinese political power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation