Father of Nigella Lawson aides nabbed for extortion
Rome: The mobster father of British celebrity chef Nigella Lawson`s two assistants, who were acquitted at a high-profile fraud trial in London last month, has been arrested for allegedly extorting nightclubs in Milan.
Michele Grillo, 66, previously served 15 years in prison for a kidnapping in the 1980s by the `Ndrangheta organised crime syndicate but claimed he had changed his ways and was now working honestly as a truck driver.
Prosecutors who ordered his arrest on Wednesday said he is in fact the right-hand man of Agostino Catanzariti, who was also detained and is alleged to be the ring-leader of the group taking protection money from some of Milan`s top clubs.
"In this particular case the link between business owners and `Ndrangheta goes back a decade with a sort of `insurance` that was periodically renewed," Paolo Storari, a prosecutor in charge of the investigation, was quoted as saying.
Police wiretaps of phone conversations between Grillo and Catanzariti have also led to the re-opening of an investigation into a murder in 1976, prosecutors said.
Grillo`s two daughters, Elisabetta and Francesca Grillo, worked for Lawson and her ex-husband, the millionaire art collector Charles Saatchi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal