Father of pope`s imprisoned butler defends son
Vatican City: The father of Pope Benedict XVI`s imprisoned butler says his son is honest and hopes the truth will emerge concerning the leaks of sensitive Vatican documents.
Andrea Gabriele wrote a letter today to television station Tgcom 24, the first time Paolo Gabriele`s family has commented on his alleged involvement in the scandal since his May 23 arrest. The documents, which were published in Italian media, exposed infighting and power struggles in the highest levels of the Vatican.
While Andrea Gabriele defended his son, he hinted that the motivation behind the leaks was to expose wrongdoing for the sake of purifying the church. He said his son was "paying the price first-hand."
Paolo Gabriele was arrested after scores of documents from the papal apartments were found in his Vatican City home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred