Fatwa allows fasting men to use nicotine patches
Dubai: A special fatwa issued by a
religious body here has permitted smokers to use of nicotine
patches during the month of Ramadan to deal with withdrawal
symptoms, saying it does not violate the observance of
The Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities
Department (IACAD) here issues list of fatwas daily to help
Muslims observe their fast in the right manner during Ramadan.
"Nicotine patches, which can help smokers to deal with
their withdrawal symptoms during the day, are permitted," the
"It is allowed to use these patches as they are not
nutritious and the substances in it are absorbed through the
skin and blood and not passed through the abdomen."
The fatwa observes that nicotine is a natural
substance which is toxic and regarded as one of the most
dangerous of the harmful substances found in tobacco and the
cause of the addiction in smokers.
Hence scientists have tried hard to come up with
alternatives that will help the smoker to rid himself of the
harmful addiction to nicotine by manufacturing a lighter
version of nicotine in the form of pills, chewing gum or
sticks like cigarettes, or patches containing varying amounts
of nicotine, to introduce the smoker gradually to
The fatwa also noted that a nicotine patch is like a
sticker which releases nicotine in the form of a gel which is
absorbed by the skin, whereafter the nicotine passes via the
capillaries into the bloodstream, and helps the smoker to
avoid withdrawal symptoms.
The ruling clearly states that nicotine patches are
permissible to avert withdrawal symptoms but not if they
induce harmful effects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’