Fatwa allows fasting men to use nicotine patches
Dubai: A special fatwa issued by a
religious body here has permitted smokers to use of nicotine
patches during the month of Ramadan to deal with withdrawal
symptoms, saying it does not violate the observance of
The Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities
Department (IACAD) here issues list of fatwas daily to help
Muslims observe their fast in the right manner during Ramadan.
"Nicotine patches, which can help smokers to deal with
their withdrawal symptoms during the day, are permitted," the
"It is allowed to use these patches as they are not
nutritious and the substances in it are absorbed through the
skin and blood and not passed through the abdomen."
The fatwa observes that nicotine is a natural
substance which is toxic and regarded as one of the most
dangerous of the harmful substances found in tobacco and the
cause of the addiction in smokers.
Hence scientists have tried hard to come up with
alternatives that will help the smoker to rid himself of the
harmful addiction to nicotine by manufacturing a lighter
version of nicotine in the form of pills, chewing gum or
sticks like cigarettes, or patches containing varying amounts
of nicotine, to introduce the smoker gradually to
The fatwa also noted that a nicotine patch is like a
sticker which releases nicotine in the form of a gel which is
absorbed by the skin, whereafter the nicotine passes via the
capillaries into the bloodstream, and helps the smoker to
avoid withdrawal symptoms.
The ruling clearly states that nicotine patches are
permissible to avert withdrawal symptoms but not if they
induce harmful effects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam