FBI agents interviewed Boston bombings suspect in 2011
Boston: The FBI in 2011 had interviewed one of the two Chechen-origin Boston bombings suspects, who was killed after a massive manhunt, but apparently let him out of their sights after not detecting any terrorist activity.
Agents in 2011 interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev, suspected of being behind the deadly bombings here that claimed three lives and injured over 180, at the request of a foreign government that suspected he might have ties to extremist groups, the FBI said on Friday.
Tamerlan was pronounced dead on Friday morning after suffering shrapnel and bullet wounds in a gunfight with police, while his 19-year-old brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, also a suspect, was later arrested in connection with the bombings.
Both the suspects were brothers from a Russian region near Chechnya, which has witnessed deadly bombings carried out by Islamic rebels.
"The request (by the foreign government) stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer," the FBI said, "and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the US for travel to the country`s region to join unspecified underground groups."
An FBI official declined to name the foreign government, but said the FBI took a number of investigative steps to check on the request, including looking at his travel history, checking databases for derogatory information and searching for Web postings.
Agents also interviewed Tsarnaev`s family members, the FBI said, but did not detect terrorist activity.
"The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011," the FBI`s statement was quoted by CNN as saying.
"The FBI requested but did not receive more specific or additional information from the foreign government," it said.
Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee Michael McCaul said on Friday that information that Tsarnaev had been interviewed by the FBI in the past was disturbing.
"It`s new information to me and it`s very disturbing that he`s on the FBI`s radar screen," McCaul said.
"But if he was on the radar and they let him out of their sights, then that`s an issue, certainly, for me," McCaul said.
The suspects` parents also told Russian state media that the FBI had been speaking with their sons.
"FBI came to them two or three times, asking `Are you Chechens? Is anyone harassing you?` Why would anyone offend us? Then they came again. Said they wanted to talk to Tamerlan," father Anzor Tsarnaev told the state-run RIA Novosti news agency.
"We didn`t know what was going on, didn`t know whether he had done something. But they were saying, `Oh, it`s nothing, it`s just routine.` They talked to us at our home," he said.
Mother Zubeidat Tsarnaeva told Russia Today that the FBI had been checking on Tamerlan for three to five years.
"They knew what he was doing, what sites he was visiting. They followed his every move, yet today they say this is a terrorist act," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks