FBI arrest two men on terrorism charges
Mobile (US): Two Alabama men who allegedly wanted to wage violent jihad overseas have been arrested on terrorism charges, federal authorities said on Tuesday.
Mohammad Abdul Rahman Abukhdair and Randy "Rasheed" Wilson, both 25 and from Mobile, Alabama, were named in terrorism charges filed on Monday, according to Kenyen R Brown, the US Attorney for the Southern District of Alabama.
Both were arrested in Georgia. Prosecutors said Abukhdair was arrested at a bus terminal in Augusta and Wilson was stopped in Atlanta while attempting to board a flight for Morocco.
A sworn statement from an FBI agent said Wilson is a close friend and former roommate of Alabama native Omar Hammami, who was recently added to the list of the FBI`s most wanted terror suspects.
Abukhdair was among a group of people arrested in Egypt in 2010 on suspicion of being involved with a terror group there, according to the document, which was filed in US District Court in Mobile. He was held for two months in Egypt before being deported to the United States, the statement said.
Abukhdair is a native of Syracuse, New York, and had lived in South Carolina and Ohio before moving to south Alabama in October 2011, officials said.
Authorities say the men met online in 2010. Wilson allegedly told an FBI employee that he and the other man planned to travel overseas to participate in violent jihad.
Court records did not show whether either man has an attorney.
Both men are charged with conspiring to provide material support to terrorists with plans to kill people outside the United States. Abukhdair also is charged with passport fraud for allegedly lying to obtain a new passport since his old one contained immigration stamps from Egypt.
Hammami, the son of a Christian mother and an Islamic father, grew up near Mobile and attended college at the University of South Alabama. Officials believe Hammami is a now senior leader in the Somalia-based terror group al-Shabab, which has links to al Qaeda.
Hammami faces charges in Alabama of providing material support to terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi