FBI arrests teen for trying blow up Chicago bar
Washington: An 18-year-old American was arrested by undercover Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents for trying to detonate what he believed was a car bomb, outside a downtown Chicago bar, US federal prosecutors have revealed.
Adel Daoud, a US citizen from the Chicago suburb of Hillside, was arrested in an undercover operation in which agents pretending to be terrorists, who provided him with a phony car bomb.
Daoud is charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to damage and destroy a building with an explosive, the New York Post reports.
The FBI began monitoring Daoud after he posted material online about violent jihad and the killing of Americans, federal prosecutors said.
In May, two undercover FBI agents contacted Daoud in response to the postings and exchanged several electronic messages with him in which he expressed an interest in engaging in violent jihad in the United States or abroad, according to an affidavit by an FBI special agent, the paper said.
Prosecutors say that after being introduced to an undercover FBI agent who claimed to be a terrorist living in New York, Daoud set about identifying 29 potential targets, including military recruiting centers, bars, malls and tourist attractions in Chicago, it added.
The US Attorney`s Office in Chicago, which announced the arrest said the device, used for the sting operation, was harmless and the public was never at risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users