FBI arrests teen for trying blow up Chicago bar
Washington: An 18-year-old American was arrested by undercover Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents for trying to detonate what he believed was a car bomb, outside a downtown Chicago bar, US federal prosecutors have revealed.
Adel Daoud, a US citizen from the Chicago suburb of Hillside, was arrested in an undercover operation in which agents pretending to be terrorists, who provided him with a phony car bomb.
Daoud is charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to damage and destroy a building with an explosive, the New York Post reports.
The FBI began monitoring Daoud after he posted material online about violent jihad and the killing of Americans, federal prosecutors said.
In May, two undercover FBI agents contacted Daoud in response to the postings and exchanged several electronic messages with him in which he expressed an interest in engaging in violent jihad in the United States or abroad, according to an affidavit by an FBI special agent, the paper said.
Prosecutors say that after being introduced to an undercover FBI agent who claimed to be a terrorist living in New York, Daoud set about identifying 29 potential targets, including military recruiting centers, bars, malls and tourist attractions in Chicago, it added.
The US Attorney`s Office in Chicago, which announced the arrest said the device, used for the sting operation, was harmless and the public was never at risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30