FBI director says no racial targeting with guidelines
Washington: FBI director Robert Mueller told Congress on Wednesday that the bureau`s domestic surveillance guidelines are being used properly and that US agents are not employing them to target people for investigation based on race.
The FBI director`s defence of the guidelines at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing followed criticism by civil liberties groups that the guidelines unfairly target Muslims.
The guidelines "do not target based on race”, Mueller said.
Mueller`s response came during questioning by committee chairman Patrick Leahy, a Democrat, about a news agency’s story indicating widespread cheating on an FBI test designed to be sure agents understood the guidelines.
In an interview on Tuesday, Farhana Khera, executive director of the non-profit group Muslim Advocates, said the Domestic Investigations and Operations Guide is "quite an invasive data collection system”.
"It`s based on generalised suspicion and fear on the part of law enforcement, not on individualised evidence of criminal activity," said Khera.
The FBI says the guide equips agents with lawful and appropriate tools so the agency can transform itself into an intelligence-driven organisation that investigates genuine criminal and national security threats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!