FBI dog to be honoured for perishing in line of duty
Washington: An FBI dog, who died after taking a bullet from a gunman in a shooting rampage, will be honoured at the agency`s headquarters with his name being inscribed on a memorial wall for canines killed in the line of duty.
The man who heartlessly murdered four people in upstate New York on Thursday added a rookie FBI dog to his kill count.
The FBI announced that Ape, the adored fallen canine, will be honoured with a memorial service at the agency`s headquarters in Quantico, Virginia, where his name will be inscribed on the memorial wall for dogs killed in the line of duty.
"Ape was doing what he was trained to do and made the ultimate sacrifice for his team," Special Agent Ann Todd was quoted the New York Daily News as saying in a statement.
"His actions were heroic and prevented his teammates from being seriously wounded or killed," Todd said.
Ape, a 2-year-old Czech German Shepherd, was the first to enter the abandoned bar called Glory Days in downtown Herkimer where Kurt Myers was holed up and armed.
Officers equipped Ape with a camera to give officers a clearer picture of the deranged man`s hideout. But tragedy struck once more.
A bullet struck Ape in the chest as he entered through the door, the daring dog collapsed on the filthy floor.
Trailing behind the brave canine, FBI tactical teams and state police shot back, killing the gunman who unleashed a storm of bloodshed on Herkimer and neighbouring Mohawk.
Then they set their sights on saving their furry companion.
Ape received Cardiopulmonary resuscitation as an armoured car rushed him to Herkimer Veterinary Associates, but the damage was already done. He died shortly after arrival.
"We were trying to do everything we could to try to save its life," Dr Emily M Green said.
Ape had joined the FBI on February 25 after completing a four-month training course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends