FBI intercepts ricin-laced letter sent to Obama
Washington: A letter laced with poisonous substance ricin, sent to US President Barack Obama, has been intercepted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the secret service agency confirmed.
The letter addressed to US President Barack Obama was intercepted by the FBI, before it could reach its destination, the agency said on Thursday.
The FBI has now taken a lead into the investigation as similar letters were sent to the New York Mayor Michele Bloomberg.
"The US Secret Service can confirm that the White House mail screening facility intercepted a letter addressed to the White House that were similar to letters previously addressed to Mayor Bloomberg in New York," Edwin M Donovan, the Secret Service spokesperson said.
"This letter has been turned over to the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force for testing and investigation," Donovan told a news agency.
Obama is aware of the issue, his spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters.
"The White House does have an offsite facility that processes the mail that we receive, so we have precautions that are in place for these kinds of things," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you