FBI probes computer security breach targeting Citigroup
Washington: FBI is probing a computer-
security breach targeting Citibank that resulted in a theft of
tens of millions of dollars by hackers who appear linked to a
Russian cyber gang, according to a media report.
The Wall Street Journal in a news report said the
attack underscores the blurring of lines between criminal and
national-security threats in cyber space.
Hackers also assaulted two other entities, at least
one of them a US government agency, said people familiar with
the attack on Citibank, the daily reported.
Currently the federal government has 27 percent stake
in Citigroup, parent company of the Citibank.
The threat was initially detected by US investigators
who saw suspicious traffic coming from Internet addresses that
had been used by the Russian Business Network, a Russian gang
that has sold hacking tools and software for accessing US
The group went silent two years ago, but security
experts say its alumni have re-emerged in smaller attack
groups, the report said.
"Security officials worry that, beyond stealing money,
hackers could try to manipulate or destroy data, wreaking
havoc on the banking system. When intruders get into one bank,
officials say, they may be able to blaze a trail into others,"
the report said.
The daily said one Robert Blanchard, co-owner of a
lighting company in Mount Vernon, New York said that someone
hacked into his Citibank account and stole over USD 1 million.
The bulk of the money was recovered later.
"After days of prodding, Citibank sleuths began
working to help him recover USD 810,855 from the Latvian bank,
and Citibank then gave him the remainder," the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past