FBI search for motive behind Washington Navy Yard shooting
Zee Media Bureau/Neha Attre
Washington: The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is trying to determine the motive behind the shooting rampage in Washington Navy Yard that took place on Monday by a former Navy servicemen, which claimed 12 lives and injured eight others.
Identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis from Fort Worth, Texas, the suspected gunman was later shot dead by the police. Alexis had worked as a Navy Reservist and received a general discharge in 2011.
Witnesses have said that Alexis fired at people in the cafeteria from the balcony. He was armed with a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle, another rifle and a semi-automatic Glock handgun.
Despite having a history of violence, Alexis had security clearance that gave him access to the Navy Yard.
In 2004, he was arrested in a gun related incident in which he shot the tyres of a construction worker’s car. However, he was not charged with the crime.
In 2010, he shot through the floor of an upstairs apartment. However, he claimed that the shooting was an accident.
At least six victims who were killed in the attack have been identified - Michael Arnold (59), Sylvia Frasier (53), Kathy Gaarde (62), John Roger Johnson (73), Frank Kohler (50) and Kenneth Bernard Proctor (46).
Meanwhile, the police have ruled out the involvement of any other gunman in the shooting but are looking for another suspect, a black male between 40-50 years, wearing a military-style uniform.
Reacting to the incident, US President Barack Obama condemned the attack and called it “cowardly”. He also ordered the flags to be lowered at half-mast at the White House and Capitol Hill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon