FBI search for motive behind Washington Navy Yard shooting
Zee Media Bureau/Neha Attre
Washington: The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is trying to determine the motive behind the shooting rampage in Washington Navy Yard that took place on Monday by a former Navy servicemen, which claimed 12 lives and injured eight others.
Identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis from Fort Worth, Texas, the suspected gunman was later shot dead by the police. Alexis had worked as a Navy Reservist and received a general discharge in 2011.
Witnesses have said that Alexis fired at people in the cafeteria from the balcony. He was armed with a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle, another rifle and a semi-automatic Glock handgun.
Despite having a history of violence, Alexis had security clearance that gave him access to the Navy Yard.
In 2004, he was arrested in a gun related incident in which he shot the tyres of a construction worker’s car. However, he was not charged with the crime.
In 2010, he shot through the floor of an upstairs apartment. However, he claimed that the shooting was an accident.
At least six victims who were killed in the attack have been identified - Michael Arnold (59), Sylvia Frasier (53), Kathy Gaarde (62), John Roger Johnson (73), Frank Kohler (50) and Kenneth Bernard Proctor (46).
Meanwhile, the police have ruled out the involvement of any other gunman in the shooting but are looking for another suspect, a black male between 40-50 years, wearing a military-style uniform.
Reacting to the incident, US President Barack Obama condemned the attack and called it “cowardly”. He also ordered the flags to be lowered at half-mast at the White House and Capitol Hill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday