FBI search for motive behind Washington Navy Yard shooting
Zee Media Bureau/Neha Attre
Washington: The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is trying to determine the motive behind the shooting rampage in Washington Navy Yard that took place on Monday by a former Navy servicemen, which claimed 12 lives and injured eight others.
Identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis from Fort Worth, Texas, the suspected gunman was later shot dead by the police. Alexis had worked as a Navy Reservist and received a general discharge in 2011.
Witnesses have said that Alexis fired at people in the cafeteria from the balcony. He was armed with a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle, another rifle and a semi-automatic Glock handgun.
Despite having a history of violence, Alexis had security clearance that gave him access to the Navy Yard.
In 2004, he was arrested in a gun related incident in which he shot the tyres of a construction worker’s car. However, he was not charged with the crime.
In 2010, he shot through the floor of an upstairs apartment. However, he claimed that the shooting was an accident.
At least six victims who were killed in the attack have been identified - Michael Arnold (59), Sylvia Frasier (53), Kathy Gaarde (62), John Roger Johnson (73), Frank Kohler (50) and Kenneth Bernard Proctor (46).
Meanwhile, the police have ruled out the involvement of any other gunman in the shooting but are looking for another suspect, a black male between 40-50 years, wearing a military-style uniform.
Reacting to the incident, US President Barack Obama condemned the attack and called it “cowardly”. He also ordered the flags to be lowered at half-mast at the White House and Capitol Hill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch