FBI to launch facial recognition system for criminals
New York: The FBI is gearing up to launch a USD 1 billion `Minority Report-style` facial recognition system across the US to identify criminals with an accuracy of more than 90 percent.
The Next Generation Identification programme matches surveillance images to photos of known criminals to aid agents in identifying and catching suspects.
According to the New Scientist magazine, the FBI has been pilot-testing the high-tech program, which compiles mugshots, DNA information, iris scans and voice recognition, in several states since February.
It is expected to be implemented nationwide by 2014.
The facial recognition system works in two ways: it can compare an image to the FBI`s massive database of mugshots to pinpoint criminals, and can also track suspects in surveillance footage by honing in on their faces in a crowd.
The FBI has not announced what type of facial recognition software it is using for the programme, but the most-advanced software in the field reportedly boasts an accuracy of more than 90 per cent, the `New York Daily News` reported.
The technology is similar to the one shown in the movie `Minority Report` where Tom Cruise boards a tram, and then the cameras scan and identify his face and alert the authorities.
Several public advocates are wary of the project, fearing that the database will eventually extend beyond criminals to include images of the innocent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day