Fears of `dirty bombs` loom over Olympics as security gaffes surface
London: Security guards working for Serco, the private contractor signed to protect Britain’s borders during the Olympics, are being investigated for alleged security breaches that may have allowed vehicles to enter the UK without screening for ``dirty bombs``.
According to The Guardian, the Serco guards have allegedly failed to operate detection equipment properly.
It is also known that Serco guards also failed to inform engineers after a security screening system went down at Dover ferry port, allowing vehicles to enter unchecked for radiation.
The UK Border Agency had forced the Home Office to hire private guards to detect radiation at major ports after concerns about queues and job cuts.
Serco staff has been repeatedly reported to managers for failing to correctly use equipment that checks for signs of radiation underneath cars and lorries, the report said.
Some of the 300 Serco staff have also ``left areas unmanned`` despite the heightened security threat facing the country weeks before the 2012 games.
A Border Force spokesman said: "The security of the UK border remains our top priority and all staff are security cleared and fully trained to operate their specific role. Serco staff work alongside Border Force officers and will be expected to adhere to the same high standards as our own staff."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters