Female bishops: Church of England stalls decision
London: The Church of England on Monday put off a final decision on allowing women to serve as bishops because of continuing disagreements between contending factions.
The action by the church`s General Synod to adjourn debate means that the issue will not come up again until November.
The decision to adjourn "gives us at least the chance of lowering the temperature and explaining ourselves to each other," said church leader Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The Church of England ordained its first women as priests in 1994. Since then, women have moved into senior positions including cathedral deans and archdeacons, but have been blocked from becoming bishops.
The church has spent years seeking a formula which would honor the concerns of traditionalists while allowing the consecration of women to go ahead.
And while church members opposed to women as bishops are in the minority, their opinions carry weight because church leaders wish to avoid a split.
The legislation to endorse female bishops had been supported by 42 of the 44 dioceses of the Church of England before bishops offered an amendment that many senior female priests objected to because they said it would mark women as second-class people.
The critics note that the proposal would allow a traditionalist parish not only to be supervised by a male bishop, but it could also insist the male bishop had never ordained a female priest or had been consecrated by a bishop who ordained women. In effect, said critics of the compromise, it would mark women as a "taint" on the ministry of others.
"The plain fact is that the amendment has caused widespread dismay among many of those who have supported the measure up till now, including a large number of the Church`s senior female clergy," said Trevor Willmott, the bishop of Dover.
Monday`s action kicked the issue back to the House of Bishops to find a solution acceptable to both sides.
"There are worse things than unfinished business," Willmott said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video