Ferry disaster: Video shows Captain escaping leaving others trapped
Hong Kong: South Korea`s coastguard today released a video showing the trouserless captain of a sinking ferry scrambling to safety as hundreds remained trapped inside -- a move expected to intensify criticism of the crew over the disaster.
The 10-minute video - taken by rescue officials and aired on the YTN news channel - shows 69-year-old captain Lee Joon-seok, wearing a sweater and underpants, hastily escaping the bridge of the tilting ship before it sank on April 16.
All 15 of the surviving crew responsible for sailing the huge ferry are in custody, facing charges including negligence and abandoning passengers.
Victims` families have bitterly criticised the official response to the disaster, saying delays in accessing the submerged ship may have robbed any survivors of their last chance to make it out alive.
The video attracted caustic online comment.
"Look at the captain running out of the ship without his pants on. How pathetic. Can`t believe he didn`t think about all the children trapped there while he rushed so quickly to save his own life," said one user.
Prosecutors today carried out a series of raids, including on a coastguard office, as part of their widening investigation into the disaster that left 300 dead or missing.
Divers trying to search the wreck of the upturned Sewol, which capsized with 476 people on board, were frustrated for a third straight day by atrocious weather and dangerous conditions.
Despite more than 60 hours of operations since Friday by divers trying to penetrate the flooded interior, only two more bodies have been recovered and 113 are still unaccounted for.
The confirmed death toll from one of the country`s worst ever maritime disasters stood today at 189. Most of the missing and dead were high school students.
Strong currents have also worsened fears that bodies could drift free and be scattered.
Nets have been thrown up in seas around the ferry, but no finds have yet been reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened