Ferry sinks in eastern Indonesia
Jakarta: A police chief says a ferry carrying more than 50 people sank in eastern Indonesia. At least 10 people died and 16 others were rescued.
Lt Abdul Rahma Aba told a local television station, TVOne, that the accident occurred today off East Nusatenggara province.
He says the boat was heading from the island of Adonara to Lembata, both located just east of Flores island.
Ferries are a main source of transportation in Indonesia, the world`s largest archipelago nation with more than 17,000 islands and a population of 235 million. Sea accidents are common due to overcrowding and poor safety standards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH