Ferry sinks in Philippines; 3 dead, 22 missing
Manila (Philippines): A passenger ferry sank in the northern Philippines in a second sea disaster in three days. Three bodies were recovered and 22 were missing, the coast guard said Sunday.
Search-and-rescue teams rescued 63 passengers and crew of the MV Baleno-9 and were scouring the seas for others still unaccounted for, the coast guard said in a statement.
It quoted survivors as saying the vessel took in water coming from the bow ramp and listed before going under while traversing the area of Verde Island passage off Batangas province south of Manila.
On Christmas Eve, a wooden-hulled ferry with 73 people on board collided with a fishing vessel near the mouth of Manila Bay, with 24 people still missing.
Three bodies and 46 survivors have been recovered from that accident, which prompted President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo to suspend operations of the companies involved in the collision.
Officials suspected Thursday`s accident was likely caused by human error, but a formal inquiry was expected to begin Monday.
Sea accidents are common in the archipelago because of tropical storms, badly maintained boats and weak enforcement of safety regulations.
Last year, a ferry overturned after sailing toward a powerful typhoon in the central Philippines, killing more than 800 people on board.
In December 1987, the ferry Dona Paz sank after colliding with a fuel tanker, killing more than 4,341 people in the world`s worst peacetime maritime disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police