Ferry strikes NYC dock, injuring at least 57
New York: At least 57 people were injured, two critically, when a commuter ferry struck a dock in New York City`s financial district during this morning`s rush hour, officials said.
A corner of the ferry was ripped open, and passengers said people fell on each other, screaming and crying.
One witness said a ferry employee moments before the accident had mentioned the boat`s recent trouble with maneuvering.
Passengers aboard the Seastreak Wall Street ferry said scores of people who had been waiting to disembark were hurled to the deck by the impact.
"We were pulling into the dock. The boat hit the dock. We just tumbled on top of each other. I got thrown into everybody else. ... People were hysterical," said Ellen Foran.
Firefighters were still carrying people away on stretchers an hour after the crash. Most of the injuries were minor. More than 340 passengers and crew members were aboard the ferry from New Jersey, one of many that carry commuters to the island of Manhattan.
Dee Wertz was on shore waiting for the ferry and saw the impact. She said she had been talking with a ferry employee about how the boat`s captains had been complaining lately about its maneuverability.
"He was telling me that none of these guys like this boat," Wertz said. "It was coming in a little wobbly. It hit the right side of the boat on the dock hard, like a bomb." After the impact, the boat was able to dock normally. Wertz said passengers raced off once the ramp came down.
"I think people just wanted to get the heck off the boat as soon as they could," she said.
People answering the phone at Seastreak`s offices in New Jersey referred questions to a lawyer, who did not immediately return phone messages.
In 2003, 11 people were killed when a Staten Island Ferry crashed into a city pier after its pilot passed out at the wheel. Three people were badly hurt and about 40 injured when the same ferry hit the same pier in 2010 because of a mechanical problem.
The National Transportation Safety Board said today it had dispatched investigators to the scene.
Police said the ferry crew passed alcohol breath tests given after the crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez