Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania): A ferry with over 250 passengers, including 31 children, Wednesday sank near Chumbe island off the coast of Tanzania in eastern Africa, Xinhua reported.
The ferry, belonging to a company called Seagull, was heading for Zanzibar, a semi-autonomous region of Tanzania, from Dar es Salaam when it sank.
The vessel had six crew members. It had left Dar es Salaam at 12 noon for a four-hour-long trip to Unguja, Zanzibar`s main island.
Xinhua said no death has been reported though many people are missing. Several passenger and cargo vessels were mobilised for a rescue operation.
A ferry accident in September last year near Unguja killed over 200 passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi