Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania): A ferry with over 250 passengers, including 31 children, Wednesday sank near Chumbe island off the coast of Tanzania in eastern Africa, Xinhua reported.
The ferry, belonging to a company called Seagull, was heading for Zanzibar, a semi-autonomous region of Tanzania, from Dar es Salaam when it sank.
The vessel had six crew members. It had left Dar es Salaam at 12 noon for a four-hour-long trip to Unguja, Zanzibar`s main island.
Xinhua said no death has been reported though many people are missing. Several passenger and cargo vessels were mobilised for a rescue operation.
A ferry accident in September last year near Unguja killed over 200 passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?