Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania): A ferry with over 250 passengers, including 31 children, Wednesday sank near Chumbe island off the coast of Tanzania in eastern Africa, Xinhua reported.
The ferry, belonging to a company called Seagull, was heading for Zanzibar, a semi-autonomous region of Tanzania, from Dar es Salaam when it sank.
The vessel had six crew members. It had left Dar es Salaam at 12 noon for a four-hour-long trip to Unguja, Zanzibar`s main island.
Xinhua said no death has been reported though many people are missing. Several passenger and cargo vessels were mobilised for a rescue operation.
A ferry accident in September last year near Unguja killed over 200 passengers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India