Fidel Castro `laughs` off Twitter rumours of death
Havana: Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro is
"laughing" off rumours about his death that went viral on
Twitter, an official Cuban blogger said on Wednesday.
"Fidel Castro studied, analysed and is laughing at the
rumours on Twitter," wrote Yohandry Bloquera on his blog
(www.yohandry.com). "The CIA tried to kill him more than 700
times and Twitter is going down that road."
Yohandry is an official blogger, who is usually
well-informed and reliable in reporting events in Cuba. He
said he had interrupted his vacation to refute rumours of
Castro`s death, but gave no further details other than to
predict that "2012 will be a busy year in Cuba."
Castro, 85, retired for health reasons in 2006 after
turning over Cuba`s leadership to his brother, Raul. But
rumours about the former leader`s deteriorating health and
death have often circulated.
They became widespread on the micro-blogging social
network of Twitter yesterday.
Castro reportedly spends much of his time writing about
global problems and historical accounts of the Cuban
revolution that he led. He published his most recent press
release on November 13, and he received his last foreign
visitor on November 18, when he welcomed Haitian President
In December, the Guinness Book of Records listed Castro
as the person with the most assassination attempts against him
-- some 638 foiled bids.
Cuban television yesterday said the former leader had
sent wishes for the New Year to Cuban doctors working in
Bolivia. And he also wished a "speedy recovery" to a local
baseball player who was injured in a car accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed