Fidel Castro `laughs` off Twitter rumours of death
Havana: Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro is
"laughing" off rumours about his death that went viral on
Twitter, an official Cuban blogger said on Wednesday.
"Fidel Castro studied, analysed and is laughing at the
rumours on Twitter," wrote Yohandry Bloquera on his blog
(www.yohandry.com). "The CIA tried to kill him more than 700
times and Twitter is going down that road."
Yohandry is an official blogger, who is usually
well-informed and reliable in reporting events in Cuba. He
said he had interrupted his vacation to refute rumours of
Castro`s death, but gave no further details other than to
predict that "2012 will be a busy year in Cuba."
Castro, 85, retired for health reasons in 2006 after
turning over Cuba`s leadership to his brother, Raul. But
rumours about the former leader`s deteriorating health and
death have often circulated.
They became widespread on the micro-blogging social
network of Twitter yesterday.
Castro reportedly spends much of his time writing about
global problems and historical accounts of the Cuban
revolution that he led. He published his most recent press
release on November 13, and he received his last foreign
visitor on November 18, when he welcomed Haitian President
In December, the Guinness Book of Records listed Castro
as the person with the most assassination attempts against him
-- some 638 foiled bids.
Cuban television yesterday said the former leader had
sent wishes for the New Year to Cuban doctors working in
Bolivia. And he also wished a "speedy recovery" to a local
baseball player who was injured in a car accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video