Fidel Castro resigns from Cuba party leadership
Havana: Fidel Castro confirmed he had
resigned from the top leadership of the Cuba Communist Party in an article published Tuesday, after the party approved a raft of economic reforms.
"Raul knew that I would not accept a formal role in
the party today," Castro said in an article on the
Cubadebate.cu portal, referring to his brother Raul and his
own absence from the party`s new Central Committee, elected
Castro, 84, had served as first secretary in the
Central Committee of the party -- which underpins the
country`s Communist government -- since the party`s creation
Fidel said he had handed over the functions of the
party head to Raul when he ceded power to his brother because
of his own declining health in 2006, though he retained the
first secretary title.
"(Raul) has always been who I described as First
Secretary and Commander in Chief," Fidel wrote in the article.
"He never failed to convey to me the ideas that were
planned," he added.
The move came after the sixth Communist Party Congress
approved a flurry of measures yesterday aimed at keeping
Cuba`s centrally planned economy from collapse but without any
broad embrace of market-oriented economic change.
The changes inject a modicum of the free market into
the island`s economy ahead of a vote today expected to
officially relieve 84-year-old Castro of his position as party
head after more than four decades.
The 1,000 delegates gathered in Havana for the
four-day party congress approved some 300 economic proposals
and elected a new central committee leadership.
Reforms include the cutting of, eventually, a million
state jobs, and decentralising the agricultural sector.
Many of the measures have already been adopted over
the past year, with the Congress now formally approving them.
Results of the voting on leadership term limits will
be presented today, when Fidel, who ceded power to his brother
when he fell ill in 2006, would be finally, officially
replaced as party chief.
Raul, who turns 80 on June 3, likely would officially
become the party`s new first secretary.
Raul Castro said on Saturday that he backed political
term limits of 10 years at most for the top leadership spots,
in a country he and his brother have led for more than five
Focus will be also on the party`s number two position,
which could possibly signal the direction of eventual transfer
of power in the years to come.
Raul has rejected broader market-minded reforms like
those adopted by China, saying they would be "in open
contradiction to the essence of socialism... because they were
calling for allowing the concentration of property."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in