Fifteen ex-ministers charged in Ivory Coast
Abidjan (Ivory Coast): Fifteen
ex-ministers who served under Ivory Coast`s arrested former
strongman have been indicted for crimes against the state,
embezzlement and other offences, state media said Monday.
Fraternite Matin reported that former Prime Minister
Gilbert Marie Ake N`Gbo, former Foreign Minister Alcide
Djedje, former president of the West African regional central
bank Philippe Henri Dacoury-Tabley and the former finance
minister were among those formally charged over the weekend.
State prosecutors could not be immediately reached to confirm
Dozens of members of Laurent Gbagbo`s entourage had
been held without charge since the former president was
arrested in April following a five-month standoff sparked by
his refusal to accept defeat in last year`s election.
International rights groups criticised the detentions and
called on Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara to formally
charge those in captivity.
Despite repeated promises by the president to bring to
justice all those responsible for crimes, not a single member
of Ouattara`s forces has been arrested.
Last week, local United Nations Human Rights Chief
Guillaume Ngefa said that members of Ouattara`s Republican
Forces army continued to carry out summary executions and
Eight people had been killed in the last week, he
On Friday, International Criminal Court prosecutor
Luis Moreno-Ocampo formally requested to open investigations
into crimes committed by Gbagbo and his wife, who are being
held separately in the north of the country.
Ouattara`s government will ask that international
arrest warrants are issued for other members of Gbagbo`s
government, believed to have fled the country, the newspaper
Many of them, including youth leader Charles Ble Goude
and top security adviser Bertin Kadet, are thought to be
hiding in Ghana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH