Fifth accused in Daniel Pearl killing nabbed
Karachi: Pakistan police has arrested a fifth accused in the high-profile murder of Wall Street Journal journalist Daniel Pearl who was abducted and killed in 2002 by al Qaeda-linked militants.
The fifth accused named Syed Hashim was arrested in Karachi a few months back but was produced before an anti-terrorism court for the first time today.
Hasham who was charged in the murder case of Pearl was presented before ATC judge Muhammad Javed Alam at the Central Jail Hyderabad because of security reasons, police officials said.
Pearl was Wall Street Journal`s South Asia Bureau Chief based in Mumbai when he travelled to Karachi in connection with a story on 9/11 attacks.
In Karachi he was kidnapped and his body was found in February, 2002.
Britain-educated Omer Saeed Sheikh, said to be the mastermind in the murder, was awarded a death sentence by a court in 2002, while other accused Salman Saqib, Fahad Naseem and Sheikh Adil were awarded a 25-year prison sentences.
Former SP of CID police Abdul Rasheed, DSP CID Rao Aslam and DSP Javed Abbas appeared before the ATC and recorded their statements in the case today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam