Fifth accused in Daniel Pearl killing nabbed
Karachi: Pakistan police has arrested a fifth accused in the high-profile murder of Wall Street Journal journalist Daniel Pearl who was abducted and killed in 2002 by al Qaeda-linked militants.
The fifth accused named Syed Hashim was arrested in Karachi a few months back but was produced before an anti-terrorism court for the first time today.
Hasham who was charged in the murder case of Pearl was presented before ATC judge Muhammad Javed Alam at the Central Jail Hyderabad because of security reasons, police officials said.
Pearl was Wall Street Journal`s South Asia Bureau Chief based in Mumbai when he travelled to Karachi in connection with a story on 9/11 attacks.
In Karachi he was kidnapped and his body was found in February, 2002.
Britain-educated Omer Saeed Sheikh, said to be the mastermind in the murder, was awarded a death sentence by a court in 2002, while other accused Salman Saqib, Fahad Naseem and Sheikh Adil were awarded a 25-year prison sentences.
Former SP of CID police Abdul Rasheed, DSP CID Rao Aslam and DSP Javed Abbas appeared before the ATC and recorded their statements in the case today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued