Fifth French soldier killed in Mali operation
Paris: A French corporal was killed during fighting in Mali, bringing to five the toll of the French military contingent fighting armed Islamists in the west African country, the president`s office said.
President Francois Hollande Sunday expressed "the deepest condolences and the respect of the entire people to the family of the corporal of the first marine infantry regiment" killed in Mali, the presidential office said in a statement.
France deployed a military force in the African country in January to aid Mali`s government whose army had been retreating before the attack of armed groups with ties to Al Qaeda.
Mali, a French colony until 1960, has been in turmoil since last March`s military coup, which triggered an uprising of separatist Tuareg tribes that seized control of the country`s south.
The Tuaregs were soon suppressed by the better armed Al Qaeda affiliates, who overtook control of the northern region, imposing Sharia law and destroying historical heritage sites in Timbuktu, and later started a southward advance.
France has sent about 4,000 troops to Mali to fight the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price