Fifth French soldier killed in Mali operation
Paris: A French corporal was killed during fighting in Mali, bringing to five the toll of the French military contingent fighting armed Islamists in the west African country, the president`s office said.
President Francois Hollande Sunday expressed "the deepest condolences and the respect of the entire people to the family of the corporal of the first marine infantry regiment" killed in Mali, the presidential office said in a statement.
France deployed a military force in the African country in January to aid Mali`s government whose army had been retreating before the attack of armed groups with ties to Al Qaeda.
Mali, a French colony until 1960, has been in turmoil since last March`s military coup, which triggered an uprising of separatist Tuareg tribes that seized control of the country`s south.
The Tuaregs were soon suppressed by the better armed Al Qaeda affiliates, who overtook control of the northern region, imposing Sharia law and destroying historical heritage sites in Timbuktu, and later started a southward advance.
France has sent about 4,000 troops to Mali to fight the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre