`Fight likely caused Brazil bus plunge`
Rio de Janeiro: A police officer investigating a deadly crash in which a bus plunged from a 10-meter (30-foot) high viaduct onto one of Rio de Janeiro`s busiest thoroughfares has said he plans to indict the driver and an angry passenger who allegedly fought just before the accident.
José Pedro da Costa Silva is quoted by G1, the internet portal of the Globo television network, as saying he plans to indict both on involuntary homicide charges in the deaths of seven people in Tuesday`s crash.
Eleven people were injured in the accident, and both the driver and the angry passenger have been hospitalised.
Survivor Amanda Santana Silva told Brazil`s Globo television network that a passenger became enraged when the bus driver, after skipping several stops, didn`t leave the doors open long enough for him to get off.
Silva, a 19-year-old pharmaceutical student, said the passenger jumped the turnstile and struck the driver. Moments later, the bus hurtled off the viaduct.
Buses are the main form of public transit in this city of six million, despite their often questionable safety records. Rio`s buses, operated by private companies, are notorious for chronic overcrowding and for driving at high speeds and frequently running red lights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog