`Fight likely caused Brazil bus plunge`
Rio de Janeiro: A police officer investigating a deadly crash in which a bus plunged from a 10-meter (30-foot) high viaduct onto one of Rio de Janeiro`s busiest thoroughfares has said he plans to indict the driver and an angry passenger who allegedly fought just before the accident.
José Pedro da Costa Silva is quoted by G1, the internet portal of the Globo television network, as saying he plans to indict both on involuntary homicide charges in the deaths of seven people in Tuesday`s crash.
Eleven people were injured in the accident, and both the driver and the angry passenger have been hospitalised.
Survivor Amanda Santana Silva told Brazil`s Globo television network that a passenger became enraged when the bus driver, after skipping several stops, didn`t leave the doors open long enough for him to get off.
Silva, a 19-year-old pharmaceutical student, said the passenger jumped the turnstile and struck the driver. Moments later, the bus hurtled off the viaduct.
Buses are the main form of public transit in this city of six million, despite their often questionable safety records. Rio`s buses, operated by private companies, are notorious for chronic overcrowding and for driving at high speeds and frequently running red lights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Inclusion of Pakistani players will raise importance, status of Indian Premier League: Zaheer Abbas
- Bihar journalist Rajdeo Ranjan's murder: Major breakthrough - Five shooters arrested in connection with case
- Primordial black holes and dark matter are linked: NASA
- Check UBSE / UEEB 10th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 10th Exam Results 2016 announced
- Check UBSE / UEEB 12th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 12th Exam Results 2016 declared