`Fight likely caused Brazil bus plunge`
Rio de Janeiro: A police officer investigating a deadly crash in which a bus plunged from a 10-meter (30-foot) high viaduct onto one of Rio de Janeiro`s busiest thoroughfares has said he plans to indict the driver and an angry passenger who allegedly fought just before the accident.
José Pedro da Costa Silva is quoted by G1, the internet portal of the Globo television network, as saying he plans to indict both on involuntary homicide charges in the deaths of seven people in Tuesday`s crash.
Eleven people were injured in the accident, and both the driver and the angry passenger have been hospitalised.
Survivor Amanda Santana Silva told Brazil`s Globo television network that a passenger became enraged when the bus driver, after skipping several stops, didn`t leave the doors open long enough for him to get off.
Silva, a 19-year-old pharmaceutical student, said the passenger jumped the turnstile and struck the driver. Moments later, the bus hurtled off the viaduct.
Buses are the main form of public transit in this city of six million, despite their often questionable safety records. Rio`s buses, operated by private companies, are notorious for chronic overcrowding and for driving at high speeds and frequently running red lights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in