Fighter jets escorted Medvedev to disputed islands: Report
Moscow: Russian fighter jets were deployed
to escort the plane carrying President Dmitry Medvedev on his
visit to the Kuril Islands after Japanese jets were detected
in the area, a Russian daily said on Tuesday.
Quoting an anonymous source in the presidential
administration, the newspaper Kommersant said the Su-27
fighter planes were deployed because Japanese fighter jets had
been detected taking off shortly before Medvedev`s arrival on
the Russian island of Sakhalin, from where he travelled to one
of the Kuril Islands.
Asked about the report, the Kremlin`s press service
refused to comment, with a spokesman telling AFP, "Public
information is on our web site. If this information is not
there, we have no comment."
The press service of the Russian air force also
refused to comment.
Medvedev today flew into the island of Kunashir in the
first visit by a Russian leader to the isles, claimed by Japan
in a dispute that has prevented a post-World War II peace
treaty between the two neighbours.
The Kuril Islands, which lie north of Japan`s Hokkaido
island, have been controlled by Moscow since they were seized
by Soviet troops at the end of World War II, but Tokyo claims
the southernmost four as Japanese territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened