Fighters ‘desperately need weapons’, not food supplies by US: Syrian rebel chief
Washington: The chief of Syrian rebel forces has said that they do not require food supplies and bandages that the US has planned to provide as it will not bring them any closer to defeating President Bashar Assad’s regime.
Gen Salim Idris, chief of staff of the Syrian opposition`s Supreme Military Council, stressed that the only thing his fighters desperately need is ‘weapons and ammunition.’
The Obama administration on Thursday announced it was giving an additional 60 million dollars in assistance to the country`s political opposition.
It said it would, for the first time, provide non-lethal aid directly to rebels battling to oust Assad.
Idris, however, said that the modest package of aid to rebels, consisting of an undetermined amount of food rations and medical supplies, would not help them win against Assad`s forces who have superior air power, CBS News reports.
He said that the forces need ‘anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles to stop Assad`s criminal, murderous regime from annihilating the Syrian people’.
The whole world knows what Syria needs and yet they watch as the people in the country are slaughtered, Idris added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- National Anthem disrespect: Farooq Abdullah offers apology, says 'sorry, if I offended anyone'
- Rio Olympics should be moved or postponed due to Zika, suggest experts
- Mehbooba Mufti hints no separate colonies for Kashmiri Pandits in J&K
- Bihar board Intermediate Result 2016 declared: Check BSEB 12th Result result at www.biharboard.ac.in, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Chidambaram wonders if Modi govt 'deserves' RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan