Fighting erupts between Rwandan and DR Congo soldiers
Kinshasa: A gunbattle erupted today between soldiers from the Democratic Republic of Congo and rival Rwandan forces on their volatile border, local Congolese officials said.
The fighting began before dawn in Kanyesheza, about 20 kilometres northeast of the provincial capital Goma, and lasted over four hours, the officials said.
It was not immediately known if there were any casualties.
According to one local government official, DR Congo forces opened fire after one of their soldiers was abducted by Rwandan forces in the border zone.
Rwanda is accused by the United Nations of backing rebels in the strife-torn Democratic Republic of Congo.
"I heard shooting... People panicked," said one local resident who did not want to be named.
But the governor of the province of North Kivu, Julien Paluku, sought to play down the fighting.
"There was shooting between elements from the Rwandan army and the FARDC (the Congolese army) in Kanyesheza," he told AFP.
"They were minor incidents, not fighting between two armies," he said, accusing the Rwandan army of sparking the fighting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks