Final deal on Iranian nuclear fuel close: Iranian FM
Munich: A "final" deal on sending some Iranian uranium abroad for enrichment is close, Iran`s Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki has said.
"With regard to discussions with the different parties, I personally believe that we have created conducive ground for such an exchange in the not very distant future," Mottaki said at the Munich Security Conference in Germany.
"Under the present conditions that we have reached, I think that we are approaching a final agreement that can be accepted by all parties."
He added that the "Islamic republic of Iran has shown it is serious about doing this, and we have shown it at the highest level," referring to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Ahmadinejad said in a television interview late on Tuesday that Tehran would have "no problem" sending abroad its stocks of low-enriched uranium (LEU) to be further purified into fuel.
Iran needs nuclear fuel to power a UN-monitored research reactor in Tehran, but the West fears its uranium enrichment programme masks efforts to produce atomic weapons -- a claim vehemently denied by Tehran.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has proposed, in a bid to allay Western fears, that Tehran ship its LEU to Russia and France to be further purified into reactor fuel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP