Final US triple murder defendant gets 195 years
Newark (New Jersey): The final defendant convicted in a brutal schoolyard attack that killed three college-bound friends and left a fourth seriously wounded was sentenced today to 195 years in prison.
Gerardo Gomez was one of six men and boys who pleaded guilty or were convicted in the execution-style murders in a Newark school playground in 2007.
A jury convicted Gomez last November on multiple counts including robbery, murder and attempted murder.
Attorney Michael Robbins had argued at the sentencing that Gomez, who was 15 on the night of the murders, should receive a shorter sentence because of his age and because he didn`t wield a knife or gun used in the attacks.
Four other defendants are serving multiple consecutive life sentences. The fifth received 30 years in exchange for his testimony.
Gomez`s attorney had argued that he was a bystander at the playground, but prosecutors contended that he never tried to leave the scene and acted as a lookout while the victims were robbed.
After robbing the four, the defendants led three of them down a set of steps and forced them to kneel against a wall before shooting them, according to the suspects` statements and the survivor`s testimony. One of the victims suffered numerous slash wounds from a machete before the shooting.
The outcry following the killings fast-tracked numerous anti-crime measures in Newark, a poor city across the bay from New York, including surveillance cameras and gunshot detection systems.
Gomez`s conviction isn`t the final legal proceeding stemming from the killings. A lawsuit filed by the victims` families, accusing the school district of negligence for leaving the playground open at night when it was a known gang hangout, is in jury selection this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened