Finland halts tank parts from Russia to Syria
Helsinki: Finnish customs says it has intercepted a shipment of tank spare parts en route to Syria from Russia, suspecting it was in breach of a European Union ban on weapons exports to the war-torn country.
Customs Investigation Service chief Petri Lounatmaa says officers confiscated a container on a Finnish freighter on January 08 because it did not have a transit license and found "9.6 tons of tank spare parts”.
Lounatmaa today did not give details because of an ongoing investigation but said that it appeared to "involve a commercial transport from Russia to Syria”. He said they were working with several international authorities but gave no details.
Three captains and a first mate of the ship were questioned but had been released. The ship also was given permission to sail.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!