Finland halts tank parts from Russia to Syria
Helsinki: Finnish customs says it has intercepted a shipment of tank spare parts en route to Syria from Russia, suspecting it was in breach of a European Union ban on weapons exports to the war-torn country.
Customs Investigation Service chief Petri Lounatmaa says officers confiscated a container on a Finnish freighter on January 08 because it did not have a transit license and found "9.6 tons of tank spare parts”.
Lounatmaa today did not give details because of an ongoing investigation but said that it appeared to "involve a commercial transport from Russia to Syria”. He said they were working with several international authorities but gave no details.
Three captains and a first mate of the ship were questioned but had been released. The ship also was given permission to sail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday