Fire at Tennessee mosque site was arson: US authorities
Murfreesboro: Federal investigators said on Friday that a suspicious fire that damaged construction equipment at the site of a future mosque in Tennessee was arson and offered a USD 20,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.
The future mosque in Tennessee, like other houses of worship for Muslims across the country, has been drawn into a fierce debate surrounding a proposed Islamic community centre two blocks from Manhattan`s ground zero, and opponents are becoming even more hostile and aggressive.
The construction site arson frightened members of the Islamic Centre of Murfreesboro. Firefighters had said there was a strong smell of diesel from the fire that engulfed the cab of a dump truck last weekend, and authorities found fresh fuel pooled under a second dump truck, according to an incident report from the Rutherford County Sheriff`s Department.
Still, authorities did not officially rule the fire an arson until laboratory tests on samples from the burned dump truck tested positive for accelerants.
The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and FBI is offering a USD 20,000 reward to anyone with information leading to an arrest.
"Somebody knows something," ATF agent Steven Gerido said. "The money is a motivator."
Gerido would not say whether the agency has any suspects.
FBI agent Keith Moses said the FBI would not decide whether the arson was a hate crime — motivated by someone hoping to intimidate local Muslims — until after suspects are identified and their motives are determined.
The Islamic Centre of Murfreesboro has outgrown its current rented space in an industrial park. Members got approval to build a new mosque in May. Since then opposition to the building has made international news, with some opponents saying they fear Muslims want to overthrow the US government.
One mosque leader, Essam Fathy, has speculated that the perpetrator is not from the area and that new attention has been drawn to the Tennessee project by the ground zero dispute. Members of the Murfreesboro mosque say they have lived and worshipped in the community for years and never caused any problems.
Safaa Fathy, an Islamic Centre board member, said her family has been in Murfreesboro since the early 1980s. She has been very surprised by some of the recent hostility, saying even after 9/11 local Muslims had no problems.
But she is heartened by some of the positive responses the mosque has received from people of different religions around the country.
"We got a nice letter today from someone in Utah. He sent USD 50 and said it was all he has," she said. "It meant a lot to me. I cried when I read his letter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked