Fire damages old Buddhist temple at SKorea`s Mt Naejang
Seoul: A fire destroyed the main building of one of South Korea`s oldest temples Wednesday in the southwestern province of North Jeolla, but there were no casualties, media reports said.
The report said the fire at Naejangsa Temple, known for its autumn foliage, started at around 2 am and destroyed the temple`s main building, Daewungjeon, and part of the forest behind it. Other temple buildings were not affected, it said.
About 10 monks were residing in the temple compound but there were no casualties as the monks slept in a separate building.
Firefighters were quoted by Yonhap News Agency as saying CCTV footage shows the fire began near an electric heater in the Daewungjeon building. Police have ruled out arson as the cause, it said.
The report said no cultural assets in the temple were confirmed to be destroyed in the fire. One of the temple`s most prized treasures is the Ijo-dongjong Bell, considered a major cultural asset.
The temple complex, which is surrounded on all sides by mountains, is located a short distance outside the city Jeonju in the midst of the Mt Naejangsan National Park.
First built on a much larger scale in the seventh century, Naejangsa was destroyed during a Japanese invasion in 1597 and again during the Korean War of 1950-1953. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah