Fire destroys 90% of forest reserve in Argentina
Buenos Aires: The fire that affected the Argentine tourist region of Claromeco has been brought under control, although the blaze destroyed 90 percent of the forest reserve there, official said Tuesday.
The flames consumed practically the entire reserve, known as El Vivero, one of the main attractions in an area of Buenos Aires province that is also famous for its beach resorts.
The deputy mayor of the surrounding municipality of Tres Arroyos, Hugo Fernandez, expressed his regret at the destruction of the 3,000-hectare reserve, which was much valued for its acacia, eucalyptus, pine and tamarisk trees.
"We`re very sad because we cared greatly for it. What hurts us the most is that we always advised the tourists to take great care in handling fire," he told a radio station.
Fernandez said that authorities are considering two hypotheses regarding the start of the fire: "that someone tossed down a cigarette butt or that a car had a very hot exhaust pipe and it set fire to dry grass."
"When the fire occurred, there were winds of between 50 and 60 km per hour and the temperature was around 39 degrees Celsius," Tres Arroyos Mayor Carlos Sanchez told official news agency Telam.
"That forest is very well attended by tourists, when the days are not good for going to the beach, there are games, grills and places to camp. Now we have to see what shape it`s all in," he added.
The advance of the flames forced authorities to evacuate about 3,000 people who had been camping in the area, although all of them were allowed to return shortly afterwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez