Fire destroys Sikh temple in Washington state
Washington: A Sikh temple and school that was under construction in Vancouver in Washington state has been burned to the ground in an early morning fire, according to a media report.
The fire sparked just before 2.30 am. Friday at the 17,000 square-foot former Landover Athletic Club in the east Vancouver Landover-Sharmel neighbourhood, The Columbian reported.
The Guru Ramdass Sikh Community, the largest Sikh group in the Portland metro area with about 200 member families, bought the building in 2008 and planned to move from its small Rose Village gurdwara to the new building in December.
"It was devastating," group president Sarabjeet Teja was quoted as saying of the fire. "We`ve been working on this the last four years."
The building is a total loss, said Vancouver Fire Dept. spokesman Capt. Kevin Murray. According to county property records, it was valued at $213,000.
The fire was reported by neighbours at 2.25 a.m. When the first engine arrived seven minutes later, the entire building was engulfed in flames, Murray said.
Two men, believed to be construction contractors, were staying in the building. They were awakened by the fire and escaped without injury, Murray said.
The FBI and US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were on the scene Friday morning and will investigate the fire along with the city fire marshal.
"We want to think that it is an accident - a really bad accident," Pawneet Sethi, a spokesperson for the Sikh temple was quoted as saying. "But if it turns out to be anything else, it`s going to be a shock."
There were people in the neighbourhood who opposed the temple. They were worried about traffic and a lack of fire hydrants, according to The Columbian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced