Fire erupts at Israeli prison holding ex-president
Jerusalem: A fire erupted on Sunday at the prison where former Israeli President Moshe Katsav is serving time, but he was not among the 11 people who suffered light injuries, authorities said.
Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said seven jailers, a prisoner and three firefighters suffered smoke inhalation, but the ex-president was not hurt.
Itsik Gorlov, a spokesman for the prisons service, said the blaze broke out at a factory at Maasiyahu prison in central Israel. It was not immediately clear what caused the fire.
Katsav was Israel`s president from 2000 to 2007. He has been serving a seven-year sentence since 2011 after being convicted of rape and other charges, though he has repeatedly professed his innocence.
Israel today was battling a series of brushfires caused by the combination of hot, dry weather and the Lag Baomer holiday, in which revelers traditionally celebrate with bonfires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’