Fire in Queensland, rescue operations on
Melbourne: Residents in Sydney and other
major cities of Queensland were urged to leave homes as
erratic high-speed winds sparked bushfires bringing them
closer to populated areas.
The worst affected was Rockhampton in central
Queensland where about hundred firefighters were battling
flames up to four metres high which were threatening to burn
down houses and vegetation.
Several other firefighters in Rockhampton in central
Queensland were knocking doors to protect residents from a
It is moving toward homes that back onto bushland in
the northern Rockhampton suburb of Norman Gardens and the wind
in the area is erratic and blowing smoke and ash in all
directions, according to an ABC report today.
Helicopters and planes are also dumping water on the
Police have closed off the streets so emergency crews
have clear access and are also door-knocking the area advising
people to enact their fire plans.
A resident Jim Barry said: "I feel that we`re fairly
well prepared--probably our biggest risk is at the back where
we have a creek there and there`s a lot of vegetation," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar board Intermediate Result 2016 declared: Check BSEB 12th Result result at www.biharboard.ac.in, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Chidambaram wonders if Modi govt 'deserves' RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan
- Iran`s supreme leader Khamenei warns of Western 'schemes' as new MPs meet
- Confusion prevails over surrender of top aide of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander in Kashmir
- NASA to make second attempt to inflate expandable habitat on ISS