First Afghan woman governor wins Magsaysay award
Manila: Afghanistan`s first and only female governor and a humanitarian worker from the Kachin minority in Myanmar are among this year`s recipients of a Philippine leadership prize.
Habiba Sarabi was honoured for helping build a functioning local government and pushing for education and women`s rights in Afghanistan`s Bamyan province despite discrimination and poverty.
Lahpai Seng Raw helps rehabilitate damaged communities amid armed conflict.
The Ramon Magsaysay Awards announced today honour three individuals and two organisations for changing their societies for the better.
They are named after a popular Philippine president who died in a plane crash in 1957.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Russia opens first criminal case under the controversial `foreign agent` law
- India's Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in ISSF World Cup
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 605—Tanushree makes another attempt to denigrate Pragya
- Al-Qaeda wanted to swap PM's abducted son for Zawahiri's women
- Will Jacqueline Fernandez do a sex comedy? Details inside