First Afghan woman governor wins Magsaysay award
Manila: Afghanistan`s first and only female governor and a humanitarian worker from the Kachin minority in Myanmar are among this year`s recipients of a Philippine leadership prize.
Habiba Sarabi was honoured for helping build a functioning local government and pushing for education and women`s rights in Afghanistan`s Bamyan province despite discrimination and poverty.
Lahpai Seng Raw helps rehabilitate damaged communities amid armed conflict.
The Ramon Magsaysay Awards announced today honour three individuals and two organisations for changing their societies for the better.
They are named after a popular Philippine president who died in a plane crash in 1957.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman