First Afghan woman governor wins Magsaysay award
Manila: Afghanistan`s first and only female governor and a humanitarian worker from the Kachin minority in Myanmar are among this year`s recipients of a Philippine leadership prize.
Habiba Sarabi was honoured for helping build a functioning local government and pushing for education and women`s rights in Afghanistan`s Bamyan province despite discrimination and poverty.
Lahpai Seng Raw helps rehabilitate damaged communities amid armed conflict.
The Ramon Magsaysay Awards announced today honour three individuals and two organisations for changing their societies for the better.
They are named after a popular Philippine president who died in a plane crash in 1957.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city