First American jihadi dies fighting for ISIL in Syria
Washington: California-born Douglas McAuthur McCain has become the first American jihadi to have died in Syria while fighting for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a terrorist outfit that has gained control of large parts of Syria and Iraq.
The death of the 33-year-old American has left many top US officials seriously concerned.
"We were aware of US Citizen Douglas McAuthur McCain's presence in Syria and can confirm his death. We continue to use every tool we possess to disrupt and dissuade individuals from travelling abroad for violent jihad and to track and engage those who return," Caitlin Hayden, Spokesperson of the National Security Council, the White House said.
According to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, McCain died in a battle between rival extremist groups in the suburbs of Aleppo, the commercial capital and largest city of Syria.
His uncle, Ken McCain told the CNN that Douglas McCain converted from Christianity to Islam several years ago.
The fact that he became a jihadi left his family "devastated" and "just as surprised as the country," the uncle said.
The US intelligence agencies had been warning about such involvements for the past several years, particularly after the Mumbai terrorist attack in 2008, in which an American jihadi David Headley played a key role.
The US estimates say that there are about 100 American passport holders who are fighting for ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
The US intelligence agencies and security experts have cautioned the national leadership against the increasing threat posed by home grown terrorists.
While McCain is the first American jihadi to have died fighting for ISIL in Syria, he is not the only one.
Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha, 22, who grew up and went to school in Florida died in a northern Syria suicide bombing.
Born in Southern California in January 1981, McCain moved with his family to Minnesota where he attended school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?