First Chinese fighter jet lands on aircraft carrier
Beijing: China on Sunday said it has successfully landed a fighter jet on its first aircraft carrier, a move that would help project its growing military might amid simmering maritime disputes with some of its key neighbours.
The successful flight landing on `The Liaoning` aircraft carrier also marked the debut of the J-15 as China`s first generation multi-purpose carrier-borne fighter jet, the PLA Navy said.
After its delivery to the People`s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy on September 25, the aircraft carrier has undergone a series of sailing and technological tests, including the flight of the carrier-borne J-15, the state-run Xinhua news agency quoted a defence ministry statement as saying.
"Capabilities of the carrier platform and the J-15 have been tested, meeting all requirements and achieving good compatibility," the PLA Navy said.
Since the carrier entered service, the crew have completed more than 100 training and test programmes, it said.
Designed by and made in China, the J-15 is able to carry multi-type anti-ship, air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, as well as precision-guided bombs.
The carrier, originally called the Varyag, was originally purchased from Ukraine and has undergone extensive renovation in the northeastern Chinese port of Dalian.
China says the Liaoning will help "effectively protect national sovereignty, security and development interests".
The announcement of the successful first landing of a fighter jet on the Liaoning comes as China and Japan are embroiled in a dispute over islands they both claim.
The row over the East China Sea islands, called Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China, has strained bilateral relations and had sparked anti-Japan protests across China.
China is also locked in a similar maritime territorial dispute with Vietnam and the Philippines in the resource-rich South China Sea.
China is also worried about the Obama administration`s recently adopted strategic "pivot" back to Asia after years of being focused on the Middle East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi