First India-US-Afghan trilateral talks in New York
Washington: The first tri-lateral dialogue between India, the US and Afghanistan would be held in New York on the sidelines of the 6th annual session of the UN General Assembly.
The first of its kind meeting between officials from India, the US and Afghanistan would be held at the level of deputy foreign minister, informed diplomatic sources familiar with the preparations of the meeting told News Agencies.
The announcement in this regard was made during the India-US Strategic Dialogue held in Washington early this year, which was co-chaired by External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
"Today we agreed to move forward with a formal trilateral consultation among our three nations," Clinton had said at a joint news conference on June 13.
The announcement was also reflected in the joint statement issued at the end of the strategic dialogue.
"To support their efforts in Afghanistan, they agreed to hold a trilateral dialogue with the Government of Afghanistan," said the joint statement.
However, both India and the US had clarified that the tri-lateral dialogue was not targeted against Pakistan, which has always been wary of New Delhi`s role in Afghanistan.
Diplomatic sources pointed out that along with the India- Afghan-US trilateral dialogue, the United States would also hold another tri-lateral dialogue involving Pakistan, which would also be at the level of deputy foreign minister.
Launched at the start of the Obama Administration in early 2009, the Af-Pak-US tri-lateral dialogue was earlier held at the level of Foreign Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers