First test flight for Airbus A350 next-gen plane
Toulouse: Airbus`s next-generation A350 plane took off its first test flight on Friday, in a milestone for an airliner that the firm hopes will challenge Boeing`s 787 Dreamliner in the lucrative long-haul market.
With hundreds of cheering supporters looking on, the plane took off from the airport in the French city of Toulouse for a flight due to last four hours.
Airbus is predicting hundreds of orders for the A350 at next week`s Paris Air Show as the European company power up the fight against Boeing.
The more than half of A350 which is made of light composite materials that reduce fuel costs was crewed for its maiden flight by a British and a French test pilot assisted by a flight engineer and three other engineers at the back.
The plane is now set to enter a test-flying period that Airbus hopes will last less than 18 months, with the first delivery expected at the end of next year.
Confirmed customers so far include Qatar Airways, British Airways and Hong Kong`s Cathay Pacific.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film