First test flight for Airbus A350 next-gen plane
Toulouse: Airbus`s next-generation A350 plane took off its first test flight on Friday, in a milestone for an airliner that the firm hopes will challenge Boeing`s 787 Dreamliner in the lucrative long-haul market.
With hundreds of cheering supporters looking on, the plane took off from the airport in the French city of Toulouse for a flight due to last four hours.
Airbus is predicting hundreds of orders for the A350 at next week`s Paris Air Show as the European company power up the fight against Boeing.
The more than half of A350 which is made of light composite materials that reduce fuel costs was crewed for its maiden flight by a British and a French test pilot assisted by a flight engineer and three other engineers at the back.
The plane is now set to enter a test-flying period that Airbus hopes will last less than 18 months, with the first delivery expected at the end of next year.
Confirmed customers so far include Qatar Airways, British Airways and Hong Kong`s Cathay Pacific.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre