`First turbaned` Sikh in UK Parliament
London: Dr Indarjit Singh, the director of a
charity linking several Sikh organisations in the UK, has
become the "first turbaned Sikh" member of the British
"I am delighted to be the first turbaned Sikh in
Parliament. It is an honour for the whole Sikh community,"
said Singh, the director of the Network of Sikh Organisations
Recommended by the House of Lords Appointments
Commission, the 79-year-old Singh will enter the House and sit
as an independent.
"It gives me a new opportunity to do what I have always
tried to do, to work with people of all beliefs to increase
tolerance and understanding and work for greater social and
political justice in society," said Singh, who was appointed
OBE in 1996 and CBE in 2009.
Sikhs already in Parliament include the Conservative MP
Paul Uppal, who does not wear a turban.
Singh, who is the first Sikh to have addressed a
conference at the Vatican, said "the mantra of today`s times -
to look after ourselves because we are important - is creating
a selfish and fragmented society in which rights are put
"We saw the worst features of this in the recent
riots," he said, adding "I would like, in my small way, to
work with like-minded people in all communities to reserve
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video