`First turbaned` Sikh in UK Parliament
London: Dr Indarjit Singh, the director of a
charity linking several Sikh organisations in the UK, has
become the "first turbaned Sikh" member of the British
"I am delighted to be the first turbaned Sikh in
Parliament. It is an honour for the whole Sikh community,"
said Singh, the director of the Network of Sikh Organisations
Recommended by the House of Lords Appointments
Commission, the 79-year-old Singh will enter the House and sit
as an independent.
"It gives me a new opportunity to do what I have always
tried to do, to work with people of all beliefs to increase
tolerance and understanding and work for greater social and
political justice in society," said Singh, who was appointed
OBE in 1996 and CBE in 2009.
Sikhs already in Parliament include the Conservative MP
Paul Uppal, who does not wear a turban.
Singh, who is the first Sikh to have addressed a
conference at the Vatican, said "the mantra of today`s times -
to look after ourselves because we are important - is creating
a selfish and fragmented society in which rights are put
"We saw the worst features of this in the recent
riots," he said, adding "I would like, in my small way, to
work with like-minded people in all communities to reserve
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow