First woman in FBIs most wanted terrorists list
Washington: The FBI has put a woman on its most wanted terrorist list for the first time, announcing a reward of USD 1 million for information leading to her arrest.
Joanne Chesimard, a member of the extremist group Black Liberation Army, was convicted of killing a New Jersey state trooper 40 years ago during a routine traffic stop.
She has been on the run since 1979 when she escaped from prison in Clinton, New Jersey, where she was serving a life term for murder.
The state has added its own USD 1 million on top of the million dollars already offered by the FBI for her capture.
The FBI said yesterday that on May 2, 1973, Chesimard and two accomplices were stopped for a motor vehicle violation on the New Jersey Turnpike by two troopers with the state police.
At the time, Chesimard was wanted for her involvement in several felonies, including bank robbery. Chesimard and her accomplices opened fire on the troopers.
"One trooper was wounded and the other was shot and killed execution-style at point-blank range. Chesimard fled the scene, but was subsequently apprehended. One of her accomplices was killed in the shoot-out and the other was also apprehended and remains in jail," the FBI said.
Four years later, Chesimard was found guilty of first degree murder, assault and battery of a police officer, assault with a dangerous weapon, assault with intent to kill, illegal possession of a weapon, and armed robbery.
She was sentenced to life in prison.
On November 2, 1979, Chesimard escaped from prison and lived underground before being located to Cuba in 1984.
Among others listed in this most wanted terrorists list include the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader Hakimullah Mehsud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands