Five Americans in Venezuela-held US-run oil ship: US
Washington: Five US citizens are among the crew of a US-operated oil exploration ship that Venezuela detained in a border dispute with Guyana, the State Department said.
"We are aware of reports that five US citizens are among the crew members detained by Venezuelan authorities aboard the Panamanian-flagged ship Teknik Perdana," a State Department spokesperson told AFP yesterday.
"Due to privacy concerns, we cannot comment further at this time," said the spokesman, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Venezuela`s foreign ministry said in a statement Friday that a navy warship intercepted and detained the oil exploration ship, sent from Guyana, in disputed waters off its coast.
The Teknik Perdana was "carrying out illegal activities" within an ocean border area claimed by Caracas.
Guyana earlier said that the ship was intercepted Thursday as it explored off the coast of Esequiba, a 159,500 square kilometer border region rich in natural resources that Venezuela has claimed since 1897.
The ship, contracted to Texas-based Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, was sent under escort to Venezuela`s Margarita Island.
The Guyana statement said the Teknik Perdana had been conducting a multi-beam survey of the seafloor when it was stopped, and insisted that the ship did not stray from Guyanese waters.
In late August, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his Guyanese counterpart, Donald Ramotar, said that moves towards resolving their territorial dispute were "going well," and that they would continue to seek help from United Nations mediators to solve the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India