Five Americans in Venezuela-held US-run oil ship: US
Washington: Five US citizens are among the crew of a US-operated oil exploration ship that Venezuela detained in a border dispute with Guyana, the State Department said.
"We are aware of reports that five US citizens are among the crew members detained by Venezuelan authorities aboard the Panamanian-flagged ship Teknik Perdana," a State Department spokesperson told AFP yesterday.
"Due to privacy concerns, we cannot comment further at this time," said the spokesman, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Venezuela`s foreign ministry said in a statement Friday that a navy warship intercepted and detained the oil exploration ship, sent from Guyana, in disputed waters off its coast.
The Teknik Perdana was "carrying out illegal activities" within an ocean border area claimed by Caracas.
Guyana earlier said that the ship was intercepted Thursday as it explored off the coast of Esequiba, a 159,500 square kilometer border region rich in natural resources that Venezuela has claimed since 1897.
The ship, contracted to Texas-based Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, was sent under escort to Venezuela`s Margarita Island.
The Guyana statement said the Teknik Perdana had been conducting a multi-beam survey of the seafloor when it was stopped, and insisted that the ship did not stray from Guyanese waters.
In late August, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his Guyanese counterpart, Donald Ramotar, said that moves towards resolving their territorial dispute were "going well," and that they would continue to seek help from United Nations mediators to solve the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez