Five Americans in Venezuela-held US-run oil ship: US
Washington: Five US citizens are among the crew of a US-operated oil exploration ship that Venezuela detained in a border dispute with Guyana, the State Department said.
"We are aware of reports that five US citizens are among the crew members detained by Venezuelan authorities aboard the Panamanian-flagged ship Teknik Perdana," a State Department spokesperson told AFP yesterday.
"Due to privacy concerns, we cannot comment further at this time," said the spokesman, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Venezuela`s foreign ministry said in a statement Friday that a navy warship intercepted and detained the oil exploration ship, sent from Guyana, in disputed waters off its coast.
The Teknik Perdana was "carrying out illegal activities" within an ocean border area claimed by Caracas.
Guyana earlier said that the ship was intercepted Thursday as it explored off the coast of Esequiba, a 159,500 square kilometer border region rich in natural resources that Venezuela has claimed since 1897.
The ship, contracted to Texas-based Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, was sent under escort to Venezuela`s Margarita Island.
The Guyana statement said the Teknik Perdana had been conducting a multi-beam survey of the seafloor when it was stopped, and insisted that the ship did not stray from Guyanese waters.
In late August, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his Guyanese counterpart, Donald Ramotar, said that moves towards resolving their territorial dispute were "going well," and that they would continue to seek help from United Nations mediators to solve the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog